Friday, June 14, 2013

Spoils from the REH Days Silent Auction

At Friday night's REH Days auction and dinner I fought hard for several items. Most of the items I bid on were won by deeper pockets than mine. And I actually mourned the loss of a few of those items. Nonetheless, I did manage to walk away from the auction with these . . .

A collection of Leo Grin's The Cimmerian. The set I won was from 2005 (an early set); Vol 2. Nos. 1-6 plus the Cimmerian awards issue for 2005. If you're not familiar with Grin's Cimmerian scholarly fanzine then let me explain why I am so excited about getting these issues. First, Leo Grin is a first rate Howard Head. His blog, The Cimmerian, which ended it's tenure on June 11th, 2010 was one of the best REH blogs on the internet. I was sad to see it end. If you have never seen the blog, then let me be the first to tell you that spending an entire day perusing it's contents is a day well spent. Second, The Cimmerian booklets contain some of the best earlier secondary writings from Howard scholars and fans (e.g. Rob Roehm, Gary Romeo, Steven Tompkins, Don Herron, Rusty Burke, Chris Gruber, Mark Finn, Leo Grin, Charles Hoffman, Bill Cavalier, etc.), along with excellent pictures, illustrations, poetry, prose, and maps. The books themselves are bound and printed on first rate paper along with excellent typeset. They are a fine addition to any Howard fan's collection. So, despite the fact that I lost other items, these did a fine job of making up for those losses. I'm very pleased to add these to my Howard collection.

No comments: